Tikanga Māori Policy Planner
- Join a talented welcoming team
- Provide Māori perspectives
Hutt City Council are committed to making a difference to people in Lower Hutt Te Awakairangi through what they do and how they do it. They want to deliver a better city every day by understanding their communities’ values, building strong partnerships, and delivering fresh solutions. They demonstrate values of manaakitanga, te hononga and kia kaha in all that they do.
This role sits at the heart of ensuring Council integrates a Te Ao Māori perspective in the work that it does. It will be underpinned by the Council’s commitment to promote a greater appreciation and awareness of the principles of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi in relation to environmental and city policy and planning. You will contribute to reviewing and delivering Spatial and District Plans and other planning projects. There’s an emphasis on conducting research, design and implementation and providing guidance and advice to wider Council. There’s also a focus on working collaboratively with Mana Whenua alongside engaging stakeholders across Te Awa Kairangi.
To thrive in this role, you will have:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Planning, Urban Design, Resource Management, Environmental Studies or related area.
- An understanding of tikanga Māori particularly in relation to kaitiakitanga
- A sound understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, its principles and its relationship with resource management and district plans
- The ability to provide advice to, and interact with a wide range of stakeholders both internal and external to Council.
- Demonstrated skills in policy writing and interpretation
- Proven engagement skills and the ability to interpret, analyse, evaluate, and present a variety of information to different audiences
- A desire to help shape the city and weave te ao Māori perspectives into the Council does.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: Sunday 17th October 2021
APPLY OR VIEW THE POSITION DESCRIPTION: www.jacksonstone.co.nz
REFERENCE: BH- 8502
FURTHER ENQUIRIES: Russell Spratt or David Hollander on 04 550 8000