Director – Food Risk, Readiness & Response
- Leadership role in maintaining and protecting trust in NZ food supply.
- Build and lead a new risk, readiness and response capability.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is establishing a new function within its New Zealand Food Safety business unit, Haumaru Kai Aotearoa, that will identify emerging food safety risks, assist MPI and industry to prepare for dealing with risk, and lead responses should food safety issues arise.
Consumers in New Zealand, and globally, trust food produced in New Zealand for the strength of its food safety system, and this new capability will build on and grow this confidence.
Kōrero mō te tūranga – About the Role
The Director, Food Risk, Readiness & Response will establish and lead a team to:
- develop and implement new models for identifying emerging risk, readiness, response and recovery function;
- put in a place a pathway for escalation and de-escalation of responses;
- engage with industry, international and domestic partners in food production, public health, and food safety science to raise awareness of potential food safety issues that could have public health impacts and/or system-disrupting risk;
- ensure risks are systematically assessed and addressed, including the development of preparedness plans with industry and the public health infrastructure; and
- provide oversight of food safety compliance and enforcement activities that protect public health from foodborne illness, such as recalls (trade and consumer level), labelling and enforcement.
Mōu – About You
The role would suit someone with:
- a tertiary qualification (or equivalent), preferably in food safety science and/or emergency management;
- strong people leadership and management experience;
- an understanding of New Zealand’s national security framework, including domestic and international dimensions of trade, food, or other sectors or disciplines relevant to New Zealand Food Safety’s responsibilities; and
- experience in developing and implementing leadership strategies and management functions to undertake the identification and detection of emerging risks, readiness, response, and recovery.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: Sunday 19 September 2021
APPLY OR VIEW THE POSITION DESCRIPTION: www.jacksonstone.co.nz
FURTHER ENQUIRIES: Ginny Fail on 04 550 8000